In a previous post I talked about how I got lazy with my beauty care routine. Well, lately I have had a resurgence in feelings of wanting to try things that improve my appearance.
My eyebrows are one of the things on me that need improving. They have become rather sparse.
I had been looking into options on how to regrow them and came up with a plan. Read on if interested!
The causes of eyebrow hair loss
There are various reasons as to why some of us may experience eyebrow hair loss. The following is a list of them:
- Natural aging: A lot of us have thinning hair as we get older.
- Chemotherapy: This cancer treatment causes hair loss on a person’s head and their eyebrows.
- Hyper- and hypo- thyroidism: Both of these can cause hair loss on a person’s head and their eyebrows.
- Stress- If we are stressed out mentally, it can have an effect on our hair.
- Hormone imbalances: Having wonky hormones (PCOS!) can cause us to lose hair.
- Medications: There are certain medications that can cause hair loss.
- Diet changes and nutrient deficiencies: If you are not getting the right nutrients or you changed your diet up abruptly, hair loss may happen.
- Trauma to the skin: If you sustained trauma to the skin on the eyebrow area, hair might not be able to grow back in.
- Alopecia conditions: These conditions cause hair not to grow or to grow but then fall out again after a while.
- Overplucking/ waxing too much
- Skincare products: Some products (like chemical peels) may cause hair loss or thinning if it gets in the eyebrow area.
Ways to regrow brows
There are some things people can try/use to get their brows back to the fullness they want. The following is a list of them:
- Eyebrow transplant: This is costly ($3000-$6000) and comes with the risks that surgeries have. It also may take up to eight months to get the full results.
- Just fill them in with eyebrow makeup: This is not growing them but it can be a daily quick fix.
- Latisse: This is a treatment for eyelash growth but people have had success using it on their eyebrows too. You need a prescription for it and $120 is the average monthly cost.
- Rogaine: This is marketed for the hair on our heads, but people have also had success using it to grow their eyebrows. Since it is a sensitive area, you have to be really careful with the product.
- Eyebrow growth serums: There are many eyebrow growth serums on the market. They usually contain peptides, amino acids, biotin, hyaluronic acids and other ingredients. RevitaBrow is an example of a really popular eyebrow growth serum. Find it here: https://www.amazon.com/RevitaLash-Cosmetics-RevitaBrow-Advanced-Conditioner/dp/B009QZCAM6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=shpeyebrowgrowthserumssbrickell03-05-20&linkId=b56c0130275c001e08fe0d0ff5b0257b&language=en_US&th=1
- Vitamins/supplements: Things like biotin, vitamin A/B/C/D/E, zinc and omega-3 fatty acids are supposedly good for hair loss/thinning.
- Caster oil- Some people have had success applying this oil onto their brows.
- Pumpkin seed oil: This may help hair growth due to the zinc, vitamin E, Omega-3 and Omega-6 it contains.
- Essential oils- Peppermint, rosemary, thyme, lavender, cedarwood, lemongrass, clary sage and ylang-ylang essential oil are all said to possibly help with hair growth.
- Treating any medical problem that may be causing the hair loss.
None of these things listed are guaranteed to help, but they are worth looking into. Make sure to be mindful of any side effects and risks that are possible with them.
My eyebrow issues
I used to have fast growing, full eyebrows. Two trips a month to get them waxed was not an uncommon thing for me.
My eyebrows were like this until I hit the age of 26. Once I got to that age, they became very sparse on the outer portion and the rest of the area just never grew. I have not been able to get them waxed/plucked and shaped for a long time now because there is just not enough hair.
I still do not know the exact cause of why they are like this. The following is a list of possible reasons:
- Aging- They say that hair loss can happen when a person is in their 40s and 50s. Maybe it started earlier for me?
- Over plucking- The last three times that I got my eyebrows shaped, it was by my husband. He could have plucked them too much or something. It seems like they would have grown back by now though.
- Vitamin deficiency- Maybe I have not been getting enough of the right vitamins that are necessary to grow hair.
- PCOS- Sometimes I wonder if PCOS is the cause of my eyebrows thinning. It seems like it would also affect the hair on my head though too (which it has not).
- Skin care products- I was thinking that maybe the at-home chemical peels and other products with acids may be causing the thinning but I am not so sure about this. I have not used a chemical peel for a long time so it seems like the hairs would have grown back by now.
It is all a mystery to me! I am leaning towards the possibility of aging as being the main cause, unfortunately.
My plan for regrowth
Since I should not be spending very much money (or any) on “wants,” my plan is to use oils for now. I already have rosemary essential oil and pumpkin seed oil on hand so I will be mixing them at a 2% dilution (two tsp of pumpkin seed oil and six drops of the essential oil). I will be applying this to my eyebrows twice a day.
This is something I will be doing for three months and then see where I am at. I do not expect any miracles to occur, but it would be awesome if even a tiny bit of growth happened.
I might have a job by the time the three months are up so at that point I will be buying the RevitaBrow Advanced Eyebrow Conditioner. I would love to buy it now, but I need to stick to our budget.
Eyebrows are important to a lot of people
Having nicely shaped eyebrows makes a person feel and look great. Even if hair loss and thinning of the eyebrows happens, there are ways of fixing them so that one can feel confident. It will take some time though.
I will be as patient as possible on my eyebrow regrowth journey. Hopefully by the time the pandemic gets under control, I will be able to emerge from my quarantine with some full brows!
Do you have any tips for me in regard to regrowing my eyebrows? Let me know!
Thanks for reading!
#eyebrows #waxing #plucking #beauty #hairgrowth #hairloss