I really enjoyed baking the Matcha tea cookies and dropping some off at family member’s houses for them to try. Since I love to experiment in the kitchen (especially with tea), I decided to use up the rest of the Oolong tea bags I had left to make another cookie recipe.
Here is the recipe if any of you are interested!
First, why milk chocolate instead of white chocolate?
I chose to use milk chocolate chips for this recipe because they go better with the flavors of Oolong tea. This type of tea has a stronger taste than green tea so the stronger flavor of milk chocolate is necessary (in my opinion).
Dark chocolate would probably be even better. I will remember that for next time if I choose to make them again.
No eggs for these either
If you read my Matcha cookie recipe post, you would know that I have issues with eggs. They make me feel very sick and give me hives.
This means that I can not use them in anything I make.
For baking, I typically use unsweetened applesauce to replace the egg but for this recipe I tried out plain yogurt instead.
What is the flavor like?
These cookies have a chocolatey taste with the Oolong tea undertones. You can make the Oolong tea flavor stronger by steeping the tea bags longer and/or adding another tea bag full of dried leaves to the flour.
They are a bit different tasting but very good! Even my son loved them.
Here it is!
- 2 cups of flour
- 5 Oolong tea bags
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 tbsp oil, 1/2 tbsp water (egg and egg yolk replacements)
- 1 1/2 cups of mini milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Either grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt and the tea leaves from one bag of Oolong tea together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Steep the four tea bags into the melted butter in a medium size bowl for four minutes. Take the tea bags out and squeeze the excess butter out of them in the bowl. Mix in the sugar, vanilla extract and egg/yolk substitutes until creamy.
- Mix the creamed butter in with the dry ingredients until just blended. Pour in the chocolate chips and use gloved hands to mix them into the dough.
- Drop 24 portions of the dough down onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake until edges are light brown-around 14 minutes. Let the cookies cool for a while after they are done.
Simple and easy treat
Treats are wonderful to have once in a while. You can still maintain a great figure with them in your diet.
These Oolong tea cookies are not your typical flavor but they will definitely satisfy a craving for something sweet.
2021 update: You can also use Oolong tea extract from Bulk Supplements if you don’t want to deal with teabags. This is a great company offering so many types of extracts and powders so be sure to check out all that they have to offer!
Thanks for reading!
Affiliate disclaimer: I am part of an affiliate program. This means that any link you click on may be an affiliate link and I may receive a commission on purchases you make.
#baking #tea #cooking #chocolatechipcookes #cookies #recipes #cheatmeal #dessert
2 thoughts on “Oolong Tea Chocolate Chip Cookies”
These look so amazing, I love how you included so much chocolate, I prefer it over dough-y cookies.
p.s. I started my own blog recently, I hope you check it out!
Yes please! These sound delicious I’ll take 20 😂