I am all about treats in moderation. You can have them once in a while and still maintain a healthy, snatched body.
For this week, I decided to make some Matcha tea white chocolate chip cookies!
Why Matcha cookies?
I wanted cookies as the treat for the week but not just plain old chocolate chip ones. My first choice of cookies to make was actually a kitchen sink kind. They unfortunately turned out so horrible that I had to throw them out.
Way too salty. Gross!
I had some Matcha green tea in the drawer (non-expired) and remembered that I used to make blondies with it. Being that those were so good, I decided to use some of the powder to make cookies.
The recipe I found and changes made
I found a Matcha tea cookie recipe that also used white chocolate chips (which I had around) and decided to try it out.
There were some changes that I had to make to the recipe though. They are as follows:
- Reduce the amount sugar- I read some of the comments that talked about how the cookies came out too sweet so I decided to not add as much sugar as the recipe called for.
- Increased the amount of Matcha tea powder- The comments talked about the taste of the green tea not being very strong. Since I love the taste of Matcha, I decided to add more.
- Go eggless- For the past four years, I have had issues with eggs. They make my stomach hurt really bad and give me hives. Because of this, I substituted the whole egg and yolk that the recipe called for.
- The time needed to bake- Because I changed some things around and/or my oven is different than the recipe author’s, I had to increase the time for them to be in the oven.
The final recipe
So this is my take on the Matcha tea white chocolate chip cookie recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsps Matcha
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (to replace one whole egg)
- 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp oil (these two replace one yolk)
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips
- Grease baking sheets and then preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, Matcha, baking soda and salt) together in a large bowl.
- Mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, applesauce and oil/water mix until it is creamy.
- Pour the wet mix into the large bowl with the dry mix and stir until blended.
- Stir the white chocolate chips in with the dough. I found it easier to put on gloves and use my hands to mix the chips in.
- Drop cookie dough on the baking sheets. There should be 24 cookies.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges are nice and brown. Let them cool completely after you take them out.
- Store in an airtight container.
The taste verdict for us
We thought these cookies were amazing. They did not last long at all! I never knew that white chocolate could go so well with Matcha but it really does.
I will definitely make these again in the near future and would recommend them for anyone looking for a less-common type of cookie.
What was the last treat you had?
Thanks for reading!
#greentea #desserts #cookies #snacks #kitchen #baking #cooking #familylife