I have been looking for new options for snacks as I was getting tired of the same old stuff. Recently, I came across some that used frozen berries as an ingredient. I tried one and thought it was delicious!
In this post, I will be talking about/showing you the blueberry snack I came up with that is based off of the recipes I found.
Blueberries are the star of my snack. Simply because they are amazing!
Here are some of the key nutrients that blueberries contain:
- Very high in antioxidants- Blueberries are shown to be at the top of all food when it comes to antioxidant content.
- High in vitamin C
- High in vitamin K
- High in manganese
- High in copper
- High in fiber
Here are some of the benefits that blueberries have due to the nutrients they contain:
- Provide anti-aging effects to the skin.
- Improve health of hair.
- Great for bone health.
- May improve blood pressure.
- May lower blood sugar levels.
- May prevent and treat constipation.
- May lower bad cholesterol levels.
- Can boost the immune system.
One cup of blueberries equals 85 calories and 21 grams of carbohydrates. Because of the carbohydrate content, it may not fit into a really low carb or keto diet. For those that aren’t doing those diets…eat up!
My delicious, new snack
This snack is simple, easy and delicious! The only ingredients are frozen blueberries, Greek Yogurt, cinnamon and a sweetener(optional).
Admittedly, I usually don’t like any kind of yogurt but this snack sounded really good to me. Here is what is good about Greek yogurt if you don’t already know:
- Very filling- It is thick and full of protein. This makes it a great snack that may hold you over for a while.
- Full of probiotics- These help our guts to function better and supports our immune systems.
- A good amount of calcium- This is great for our bones, muscles and nerves.
- A good amount of vitamin B12- This vitamin supports our nervous system and blood cells.
- A small amount of vitamin B6- This supports the nervous system, metabolism and may help balance hormones.
Adding in cinnamon was a no-brainer to me because I love it. I even did a blog post about it a while back. If you don’t feel like reading a long post on it, here is a brief list of some of the benefits of cinnamon:
- Helps with digestive issues.
- Has anti-bacterial properties.
- Has antioxidant effects.
- Has anti-inflammatory effects.
- May lower blood sugar.
- May be soothing for a sore throat if drank in tea form.
As you can see, it doesn’t just add a good flavor to whatever it is put in.
It is important to know that too much cinnamon can be bad for your kidneys and liver though. Experts state that no more than 1 tsp should be consumed per day.
So without further ado, here is the recipe:
- 2/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of frozen, unsweetened blueberries (do not thaw them)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Sweetener of your choosing (optional).
- Put the yogurt, frozen blueberries and cinnamon in a bowl and mix together.
- Cover the bowl and place in fridge for about two hours.
- Take the bowl out and stir the mixture. Stir in the sweetener of your choice to taste (optional).
Letting the blueberries thaw into the Greek yogurt gives this snack an almost ice cream like feel to it. It also causes the blueberry juice to leak out into the yogurt, giving it the full deliciousness of the fruit’s flavor.
If you don’t like blueberries, not to worry! This can be done with any frozen fruit. You can also omit the cinnamon, use a dairy free yogurt etc. Totally up to you and your tastes.
Try it out!
If you want a filling snack and this sounds good to you, give it a try sometime. It is super easy to make and is healthy.
Your whole family may enjoy it too!
Thanks for reading!
#berries #fruit #summerproduce #blueberryplants #antioxidants #health #diet #weightloss
1 thought on “A Great Blueberry Snack Option!”
[…] 8. Blueberries and yogurt […]