I have a renewed love of doing workout reviews!
The last review I did, I mentioned that I wasn’t too keen on switching out one of my regular workouts for a completely different one. Well, after doing so I realized how fun it really is. In this post, I will be going over a workout I just tried from YouTube.
What I chose and why
For this review I chose a POPSUGAR Fitness workout. It is called 30-Minute Strength, Cardio and Pilates Core Workout.
Back in 2010, I was always looking for workouts that could be done in small spaces at home (dorm room at the time). I had taken a Yoga class before but didn’t enjoy it at all. When I heard about Pilates, I was skeptical because it seemed like it would be too similar to Yoga.
I ended up giving it a try and really liked it!
To me, Pilates felt like more of a workout with the focus on strength that it has. This is what made me want to continue doing it.
It then became a big part of my workout routine. I did Mari Winsor Pilates DVD workouts as well as some others I found at a sporting goods store, weekly. I would do them on my cardio and leg days.
I loved the results I got from doing Pilates regularly. These included the following:
- Sculpted looking legs.
- Firm and lifted butt.
- Slimmer and more sculpted looking midsection.
- Stronger core.
- More flexibility.
In addition to the effects on my body shape, I also felt really refreshed after practicing it. That is another reason I always looked forward to my Pilates days.
As time went on, I thought about advancing my practice of Pilates- that is how much I liked it. I was considering getting into Reformer Pilates at the local studio and also becoming a certified trainer.
Unfortunately, me getting more into weightlifting led me to putting Pilates on the back burner- eventually abandoning it completely. I have added in some Pilates moves here and there to my workouts but I have yet to do a complete workout of it for a few years now.
I chose this workout because I remembered how great Pilates is for the core and it just sounded interesting in general. Since it has strength moves in it, I decided that I was going to do it instead of my upper body workout and treat it as a full body workout.
About the workout
This workout is one of many that POPSUGAR Fitness offers on YouTube. It is 30 minutes like the title of it says and all you need is a yoga mat due to it being all body weight exercises.
The following are specifics of the workout:
- Warmup- This is three minutes of lunges, squats, step-ups and arm movements.
- Bodyweight strength moves- These include squats, pushup variations, step-ups and lunges. They are all repeated twice.
- Bodyweight cardio moves- These include high knees, mountain climbers and burpees.
- Pilates core movements- This part includes several Pilates movements that specifically target the core.
- Cool down- This includes gentle stretching movements.
I followed this workout to a “T.” Here is how each part of it went for me:
- Warmup- This warmup really got me warmed up just like one of the demonstrators said! My heart rate got faster and I felt a bit of fire in my legs.
- Bodyweight strength moves- Fire! That is how I can sum it up. My legs and arms were on fire! I was kind of worried that this workout was going to be a little too easy for me but I was wrong.
- Bodyweight cardio moves- Short and not so sweet! Definitely felt it and got a bit sweaty.
- Pilates core movements- I have come to hate core work for the past couple of years so this section was very hard for me. Talk about a burn! I am definitely out of shape in this area.
- Cool down- I have been liking cool downs lately and this one did not disappoint. It was really relaxing and helped my burning core.
Another thing I really liked about this workout was the trainer, Kit! She was very inspiring and helped me get through the tough moves. I also liked the two women that were modeling the workout for her as they had good personalities as well. All of them together made it feel like some kind of a fitness party with friends.
I totally forgot to put my fitness watch on so I don’t know how much I burned. It doesn’t really matter though as I got a good workout in and I do not need to burn a ton of calories to stay lean due to the diet I have.
Overall, I loved this workout and I am glad I decided to try it. I give it a 5/5!
Do I recommend it?
A million times, yes! Here are the types of people it would be great for:
- Someone who doesn’t have much time to workout.
- Someone who is looking for a total body workout.
- Someone who doesn’t have a lot of space at home to workout.
- Someone who doesn’t have any workout equipment.
- Someone who is traveling and doesn’t feel like going to the hotel’s workout center.
- Someone who is already used to working out.
While you don’t need any equipment at all for the workout, you may want to consider a Yoga/exercise mat. The Extra Thick Yoga and Pilates Mat offered by Prosourcefit would be a great choice.
My plans for Pilates
I have decided that I am going to be doing Pilates more regularly now. I just feel so good after doing it.
My plan going forward is to do my “True Crime podcast walk” and then do a Pilates video on my rest days. I am always itching for something to do during these days so I think this will be a good idea.
There are so many videos available on YouTube for free, so I will be able to do a new one on each rest day!
This POPSUGAR Fitness workout was great. It provided me with a fast and furious workout that I will definitely be going back to.
If you are looking for a short but high quality workout, try this one out!
What workouts are you loving these days?
Thanks for reading!
You can find the workout here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObCDRGuXGUA
Here is my other POPSUGAR Fitness workout review: This Week’s Workout Review: Jeanette Jenkins Workout
Health disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, therefore anything I say/post can not be a substitute for medical advice. If you are wanting to start a new exercise routine, talk to your doctor before doing so. Your health is your own and I am not liable for any consequences you get from the choices you make.
Affiliate disclaimer: I am part of an affiliate program. This means that any links you click on might be affiliate links and I may receive commission off of any purchases you make.
#pilatesathome #pilatesexercise #reformerpilates #homegym #popsugarfitness #fitmom #youtube